Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Did You “Shura” Today?


Consultation, be it in the medical, law or corporate arena is a billion dollar industry. But did you know that the Quran has prescribed mutual consultation for conducting our daily affairs?
Shura means mutual consultation. Miscommunications, disagreements, misunderstandings are part and parcel of everyday life. They can be taken care of by shura. Shura is for surety. So why not try it for the smallest institution you know of: your family? Sometimes our best therapists are simply the ones around us, those who know us well.

 “…consult them in the affairs. Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).” (Quran, Chapter 3. Verse 159)

So try it: shura with your spouse, kids and parents. It is a good chance to practice not just communication skills but also active and patient listening skills.
 Shura is not limited to the family alone. Sometimes we may need to consult our neighbors and colleagues in reference to a task at hand. Always remember there is no compulsion in Islam. Enjoy the dialogue and the resultant hearty conversation. Simple is the idea of council but a crucial building block of not just nations but families too.
Prayer for Guidance - Al Istikharah
There are times in our lives we may feel confused about a decision. Consultation may bring forth ideas, but certain situations may still leave us feeling indecisive and hesitant. Wavering can be a very uncomfortable feeling.
The prayer for guidance, Al Istikharah, was instructed by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). It is a beautiful prayer where one calls upon The Creator and seeks His counsel.

Oh Allah, I seek Your counsel by Your knowledge and I seek Your assistance by Your power and I ask You from Your immense favor, for verily You are able while I am not, and verily You know while I do not, and You are the knower of the Unseen. O Allah, if You know this affair ( mention affair here ) to be good for me in relation to my religion, my life and aftermath, my present and future, then decree it and facilitate it for me, and bless me with it, and if You know this affair to be ill for me concerning my religion, my life and end, my present and future, then remove it from me and remove me from it, and decree for me what is good, whatever it may be, and make me satisfied with it.

Follow this prayer with a decision that you are inclined to, and be assured that you sought counsel with not just your near and dear ones but also with The Provider who is nearer to you “than your jugular vein.”
Consult, decide and trust. Make a decision with peacefulness and assurance that all those who mattered, including God has been consulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment